The Ornithological Station occupies a prominent place among natural scientists, not only in Moravia, but also in Bohemia and the Slovak Republic. Its history dates back to 1932.
The station's construction was completed in 1938. Its surroundings have been planted with shrubs and trees. In 1924 ponds were dug and 24 cages and 18 aviaries were built. Today, the Ornithological Station chiefly operates as a museum, being a natural history branch of the J. A. Comenius Museum. It hosts the largest collection of birds on display in Central Europe and oversees the extensive library collection dealing with migratory bird behavior.